NFL Week 14 Notes: 2008
December 10, 2008 11:57 PM
Week 14 notes on the National Football League
1) If you don't know the NFC South is the best division in football, then you don't know shit about football. All four teams have winning records after 14 weeks of football, and they have a combined 24-2 home record. That's a history-setting statistic.
2) Cheerleader of the week: Kelli of The Roar (Jacksonville Jaguars Cheerleaders). She's cute as a button!
3) The New Orleans Saints beat the hated Atlanta Falcons. Following the game, the Atlanta players gave the Saints no credit at all. They talked about how they beat themselves and how the Saints did nothing to stop them. I love rivalries! Everybody hates each other and no credit is given to the opposition when you get beat.
4) Congratulations Denver Broncos! You are going to win the AFC West and host a playoff game. You have proven your worth by dominating a division containing the powerhouse Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders. Great job!
5) My current Top 6: Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Giants, Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens, Carolina Panthers, Indianapolis Colts.
6) What's the deal, Cowboys? Are you a team that can win important games or aren't you? The evidence is mounting that you are not. Remember around week 4 or 5 when you were a shoe-in for the Super Bowl? What happened?
I'll tell you what happened ... Wade Phillips happened. Jones loves to hire coaches he can dictate to (Barry Switzer, Chan Gaily, anyone?), and Phllips is one of them, which means he's not the real power in the locker room. The Cowboys are about 10 years away from being the Raiders and Jones being Al Davis.
7) If the Saints aren't going to be in the Super Bowl, I'd hope to see a Titans/Giants championship game. They've been consistently the best two teams all year, it'd be a great game.
No, you don't have to be a genius to figure that one out. But there's no hot team right now who I feel like I'd rather see in the Super Bowl. There's no Giants like last year.
8) How about that NFC West? With the exception of the Rams, that division is showing signs of life. The 49ers are winning games, the Seahawks are trying their best, the Cardinals are going to the playoffs.
9) Fantasy tip: Believe it or not, I think Shaun Hill is a viable option right now. I'm considering him for my playoff matchup this week.
10) The winless Lions' remaining schedule: Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers. Seems likely they won't win any of those games. At least they put up a fight against Minnesota, it looked for a while like they might actually win that one. But of course, they didn't.
Bonus! New Orleans Saints notes!
1) Holy crap! Pierre Thomas just may be the RB of the future for the Saints. When Payton dedicates the gameplan to include some power rushing by Thomas, good things happen. I still wish McAllister was their main power rusher, but he hasn't looked that great recently when carrying the ball.
2) Saints stat of the week: 414. Both the Saints and Falcons had exactly 414 yards last week. What a coincidence! And ... if you add the digits from those totals, plus the number of catches by Jeremy Shockey ... 4+1+4+4+1+4+5 = 23. Extra creepy!
3) Brees needs to average about 330 yards a game in his last 3 games to break Dan Marino's yardage record. That's not a sure thing. That's a tough record to break, it goes to show how awesome Dan Marino was. Can't believe that guy never won a Super Bowl. Crazy.