NFL Week 14 Notes: 2010
December 15, 2010 12:35 AM
Week 14 notes on the National Football League
1) I was rooting for the Redskins to knock off the Bucs this week, so I was delighted when Washington scored a late 4th quarter touchdown to tie the game. Except they didn't tie the game because they botched the extra point attempt. Sucks for the Redskins, but it doesn't suck as much as the River City Relay did in 2004 for the Saints with a similarly missed extra point.
2) Cheerleader of the week: Ashlie of the San Diego Charger Girls. Ashlie is the team captain for the second year.
3) The New Orleans Saints smoked the St. Louis Rams, 31-13. Saints are on a 6-game winning streak. Problem is, the Falcons are on a 7-game winning streak.
4) Apparently I jinxed the Raiders a few weeks ago by stating I was a fan. Since then they have lost 3 games and won 1 game. In each of those 3 losses they have given up 33 points or more. Darren McFadden has been great, but he doesn't play defense.
5) My Top 5: New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles.
6) So, is every Eagles game going to be a primetime game from now on? I mean, Mike Vick is an incredible story, and the Eagles are a good team, but it's been ridiculous. Week 10, Monday night game. Week 11, Sunday night game. Week 13, Thursday night game. Week 14, Sunday night game. Week 16, Sunday night game.
7) Saints Malcolm Jenkins and Marques Colston are making a case for being included in the Pro Bowl this year. Jenkins has been learning Free Safety under the tutelage of Darren Sharper, and it paid off on Sunday with 2 interceptions, one of them returned 94 yards for a touchdown. Colston caught 2 touchdown passes in the game, and remains in the top 5 with 76 receptions.
8) If there's one thing the Saints know about, it's trouble with a domed stadium. Appropriately, they have offered the Vikings use of the Superdome if they need it. In case you missed the video of the Metrodome collapse, check it out.
9) Fantasy tip: My team missed the playoffs, my season is over. No more tips until next year.
10) Seattle lost to the 49ers, but it would be really great if the Seahawks could find it in their hearts to beat the Falcons this week.
Fearless Prediction: Stone-cold lock!
Saints 24, Ravens 20
Bonus! New Orleans Saints notes!
1) Holy crap! Drew Brees continues to throw too many interceptions. He'll need to cut that out before the playoffs start. Preferably right now.
2) Saints stat of the week: 2. Number of consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins. Also, number of times in Saints history they have had back-to-back 10-win seasons.
3) Roman Harper picked up a fumble and ran it back, seemingly for a touchdown. Except Sam Bradford caught him from behind so Harper stepped out of bounds. Harper later claimed (with a smirk) he was just being a good sport, stepping out of bounds to avoid running up the score.